David Nweze Umahi is a Nigerian politician and civil engineer born July 25, 1964. He is from Uburu, which is in the Ohaozara Local Government Area of Ebonyi State. This area is known for its rich cultural history and is in the Southeast of the country. He has made important contributions to Nigeria’s political sphere.
Umahi’s first political position was as the acting chairman of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in Ebonyi State. In 2009, he was named the state chairman. Because of how hard he worked and how good a leader he was, Governor Martin Elechi chose him to be the deputy governor of Ebonyi State in 2011.
Umahi became the PDP’s candidate for governor in 2015 and won the governorship election in Ebonyi State. He took office in May of that year. He was re-elected for a second term in 2019, which shows how much he cares about the state’s growth and change.
Umahi’s main goals as governor have been to improve infrastructure, education, agriculture, and health care. During his time in office, many roads, bridges, and flyovers have been built, as well as a state university and some health care facilities.
Umahi left the PDP and joined the All Progressives Congress (APC) in November 2020. He did this because he thought the PDP wasn’t doing enough to help the Southeast. His work in politics is still having an effect on both the state and the national levels.
After the election in Nigeria on February 25, 2023, David Umahi was named the senator-elect for the Ebonyi South senatorial district. He is one of the senators who want to be the 10th Senate’s president.
Key Facts About David Umahi
- David Umahi was born on July 25, 1964, in Uburu, Ebonyi State, Nigeria, in the Ohaozara Local Government Area.
- He went to the Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT) and got a degree in civil engineering in 1987.
- Rachel Umahi is David’s wife, and they have kids together.
- He got his start in politics as the acting head of the People’s Democratic Party in Ebonyi State (PDP).
- David Umahi became the PDP state chairman in Ebonyi State in 2009.
- In 2011, he was named the deputy governor of Ebonyi State, where he works with Governor Martin Elechi.
- David Umahi was the PDP candidate for governor in Ebonyi State in 2015 and won.
- On May 29, 2015, he was sworn in as governor of Ebonyi State.
- David Umahi was voted in for a second term as governor in 2019.
- In Ebonyi State, his government has put a lot of effort into improving infrastructure, education, agriculture, and health care.
- A state university was founded during his tenure, and several major infrastructure projects were completed, including roadways, bridges, and flyovers.
- In November 2020, David Umahi left the PDP and joined the All Progressives Congress (APC).
- He defected from the PDP because he felt they weren’t doing enough to represent the needs of his region, the Southeast.
- David Umahi’s decision to switch from the PDP to the APC caused a stir in Nigeria’s political scene.
- He has won several awards and has been praised for what he has done to help Ebonyi State grow and change.
- In the general election on February 25, 2023, David Umaha won the Ebonyi South senatorial district seat.
- He has expressed a desire to lead the 10th Nigerian Senate as its president.