Oladipo Diya was born in Odogbolu, Nigeria, on April 3, 1944. He is a retired Lieutenant General in the Nigerian Army and a well-known politician. He rose to popularity during the time that the military was in control of Nigeria, particularly in the 1990s under the dictatorship of General Ibrahim Babangida and General Sani Abacha.
Oladipo Diya joined the Army after he graduated from the Nigerian Defense Academy in 1964. He held several important positions during his career, such as General Officer Commanding (GOC) of the 82 Division and Chief of Defense Staff. He later became Vice-Chairman of the Provisional Ruling Council (PRC) under General Sani Abacha’s rule.
Oladipo Diya was one of the most influential figures in Abacha’s government. He was the Chief of General Staff (CGS) and, in reality, the Vice President of Nigeria. But in 1997, he was accused of being involved in a plot to overthrow Abacha. Oladipo Diya and several other military officers were arrested, put on trial by a military tribunal, and sentenced to death. The death sentences were later commuted to life sentences by Abacha. The United States and the United Kingdom were among the countries that spoke out against the trial and called for the men to be set free.
After Abacha died suddenly in 1998, the new military government led by General Abdulsalami Abubakar set Diya and the other man he was accused with free. Since then, Diya has kept a low profile in Nigerian politics. He has focused on helping others and occasionally given his opinion on national issues. He passed away on March 26, 2023.
Key Facts About Oladipo Diya
- Oladipo Diya was born in Odogbolu, Ogun State, Nigeria, on April 3, 1944.
- He is of Yoruba descent and comes from southwestern Nigeria.
- Oladipo Diya graduated from the Nigerian Defence Academy in 1964.
- He also studied at the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS) in Kuru, Nigeria.
- Oladipo Diya was a military instructor and later the head of the Nigerian Defence Academy.
- He was in charge of the 82 Division of the Nigerian Army as the General Officer Commanding (GOC).
- During the military rule of General Ibrahim Babangida, Oladipo Diya was the Chief of Defense Staff.
- In 1993, General Sani Abacha named him Chief of General Staff (CGS) and de facto Vice President.
- During Abacha’s rule, Oladipo Diya became the Vice-Chairman of the Provisional Ruling Council (PRC).
- In 1997, Oladipo Diya was accused of being part of a plot to overthrow Abacha, and he and several other military officers were arrested.
- He was put on trial by a military court and given a death sentence, which was later commuted to a life sentence.
- The arrest and trial were criticised worldwide, and countries like the United States and the United Kingdom called for their freedom.
- After Abacha died in 1998, General Abdulsalami Abubakar’s government freed Oladipo Diya and the others charged with him.
- Since he got out of prison, Oladipo Diya has stayed out of Nigerian politics and focused on helping other people.
- Oladipo Diya sometimes talks about national issues and shares his ideas and knowledge from his time in the military and government.
- The information provided by his family indicates that he passed away on March 26, 2023.