Orji Uzor Kalu is a Nigerian businessman, philanthropist, and politician. He was born on April 21, 1960, in Igbere, Bende Local Government Area in Abia State, southeast of Nigeria. He started Slok Holding and is the chairman of the company. Slok Holding is a conglomerate with interests in oil and gas, shipping, banking, and the media.
Orji Kalu first got involved in politics when he joined the People’s Democratic Party (PDP). He was elected governor of Abia State in 1999 and stayed in office for two terms, from 1999 to 2007. As governor, Kalu focused on improving infrastructure, education, and health care. He built roads, schools, and hospitals and set up the Abia State University Teaching Hospital, among other projects.
In 2018, Orji Kalu left the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) and joined the All Progressives Congress (APC). In 2019, he was elected to represent Abia North Senatorial District. As a senator, he has fought for national unity, economic growth, and the well-being of the people he represents.
Orji Kalu’s political career hasn’t been without problems. When he was governor, he was accused of corruption and had to face legal issues. Despite these setbacks, he still has a lot of power in Nigerian politics. He continues to help the country grow and improve through his different positions in the public and private sectors.
Orji Kalu was re-elected to represent the Abia North Senatorial District in the national assembly and presidential election on February 25, 2023. He has also said that he wants to be president of the 10th Senate and chairman of the Nigerian National House of Assembly.
Key Facts About Orji Uzor Kalu
- Orji Uzor Kalu was born in Abia State, Nigeria, on April 21, 1960.
- At the age of 28, when he took over the West African Sales Office of the American trading company RIMCO, he was the youngest Nigerian to become the CEO of a multinational company.
- Orji Kalu is the head of SLOK Holding, which has interests in banking, shipping, oil and gas, and other areas. He also owns the popular Nigerian newspaper Daily Sun.
- He has a degree in political science from Abia State University and honorary degrees from several universities in Nigeria and other countries.
- Orji Uzor Kalu got his start in politics in 1998 when he ran for governor of Abia State on the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) platform.
- He was elected, and from 1999 to 2007, he was the governor of Abia State.
- During his time in office, Kalu worked on many projects to improve the country, such as building roads, hospitals, and schools.
- He also set up the teaching hospital at Abia State University and the Abia State Polytechnic.
- Orji Kalu was a member of the PDP until 2006. That year, he left the party and joined the Progressive People’s Alliance (PPA). In 2007, he ran for president on the PPA ticket.
- He lost to Umaru Yar’Adua of the PDP in the election and went back to the PDP in 2008.
- In 2015, Orji Kalu ran for a seat in the Nigerian Senate but was ultimately unsuccessful in his bid to be elected to that legislature.
- In 2019, he ran again, but this time as a member of the All Progressives Congress (APC). He won the seat for the Abia North senatorial district.
- In 2019, Orji Kalu was elected the Chief Whip of the Nigerian Senate.
- He has been a strong supporter of President Muhammadu Buhari’s government and has pushed for several bills to help Nigeria’s economy grow and make it safer.
- Orji Kalu has also been an outspoken critic of the opposition party, the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).
- The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has accused him of corruption and misusing his position. In December 2019, he was sentenced to 12 years in prison.
- The Supreme Court later threw out Orji Kalu’s sentence because his trial had been done in a way that was against the law.
- Orji Kalu is currently in charge of the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs.
- He has said that he wants to run for president of Nigeria someday and that he thinks he is qualified to lead the country.
- Orji Kalu is a controversial politician in Nigeria. Some people say he is corrupt, while others praise him as a leader with a clear vision.
- He is a member of the Anglican Communion and has given a lot to the church over the years.
- Orji Kalu is known for his charitable work, especially in education, health care, and eliminating poverty.
- He has won several awards and honours, including the National Productivity Order of Merit and African Role Model Leadership awards.
- Orji Kalu’s wife, Ifunanya Kalu, is the mother of their many children; they have been married for several years.
- At the national assembly and presidential election on February 25, 2023, Orji Kalu was elected again to represent the Abia North Senatorial District.
- He wants to be the chairman of the Nigerian National House of Assembly and the president of the 10th Senate.